[ LETTER OF IMPLEMENTATION NO. 79, December 28, 1978 ]
ESTABLISHING A NATIONAL POLYTECHNIC SYSTEM ON TECHNICAL/TECHNICIAN EDUCATION THROUGH THE INTEGRATION OF ALL STATE-SUPPORTED INSTITUTIONS IN THE PHILIPPINES
|TO :||The Minister of Education and Culture|
|The Minister of Labor|
|The Minister of Budget|
|The Chairman, Reorganization Commission|
|The Director of Higher Education|
|The President, Technological University of the Philippines|
|The Executive Director, Educational Development Projects Implementing Task Force (EDPITAF)|
WHEREAS, it is declared a national policy to insure a continuous stream of technician graduates possessing; technical capabilities supportive of the national government, and the national government is committed to provide maximum organization and budgetary support to this policy;
WHEREAS, there has been established as projects under Credit Agreement 349 PH with the World Bank, three (3) prototype technician institutes in the Philippines, namely, the Manila Technician Institute of Taguig, Metro Manila, the Bacolod Technician Institute at Talisay, Negros Occidental, and the Iligan Institute of Technology at Iligan City, and ten (10) Regional Manpower Training Centers of the National Manpower and Youth Council in various parts of the country;
WHEREAS, there is an urgent need to integrate all programs and activities of the said state-supported institutions in order to maximize the utilization of available resources towards the production of the technical manpower needs of the country;
WHEREAS, the Philippine College of Arts and Trades, pioneer of technician education in the Philippines, has seen converted by the Presidential Decree No. 1518 dated June 11, 1978 into the Technological University of the Philippines to provide leadership in the education and the manpower potential in vocational, technical, industrial, technological and professional skills through a technology program of education; and
WHEREAS, it is in keeping with the best interest of technical/technician education and training in the Philippines that a national polytechnic system be organized and maintained with the Technological University of the Philippines as the apex of the system.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, FERDINAND E. MARCOS, President of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by the Constitution, and so as to promptly assure and cause the establishment and effective operation of the national polytechnic system on technical/technician education and training in the Philippines, do hereby order and direct:
- The national polytechnic system shall be organized and established with the Technological University of the Philippines as the apex of the system, and the three (3) prototype technician institutes, the ten (10) Regional Manpower Training Centers, as well as all other state-supported institutions engaged in similar program as components of the System.
- The Manila Technician Institute and the Bacolod Technician Institute shall be maintained and operated under the administration and supervision of the Technological University of the Philippines: Provided, however, that with respect to the Iligan Institute of Technology, which shall be administratively under the Mindanao State University, the Technological University of the Philippines shall only exercise functional supervision over: its technical/technician programs for purposes of coordination and effective operation of the System. All lands, buildings, facilities, equipment, appropriations and qualified personnel of the Manila Technician Institute and the Bacolod Technician Institutes are hereby transferred to the said University.
- The facilities and other resources of the Regional Manpower Training Centers under the National Manpower and Youth Council as well as all trade schools under the Ministry of Education and Culture shall be made available for use by and under the National Polytechnic System.
- The existing Technical Panel on Technical Education under the Ministry of Education and Culture shall be strengthened in order to provide a continuing systematic and rational improvement in terms of policies and standards in technical/technician education and training in the country.
- The Minister of Education and Culture, in coordination with the other agencies concerned, shall promulgate the implementing rules to purposively and effectively carry out the purposes of this order.
- This order takes effect immediately.
(Sgd.) FERDINAND E. MARCOS
Republic of the Philippines
|By the President:|
|(Sgd.) JACOBO C. CLAVE|
|Presidential Executive Assistant|